Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Well, here we are a full 24 hours later and I have successfully defended my MSc thesis. I still have to make some minor corrections, which I can hopefully complete in time to graduate at the end of October. Even though I will be packing and moving out in two days, I'll be in limbo when I arrive in Kingston because I will not have technically completed my thesis, which Queen's requires before I can register in their PhD program.

So more work ahead, but at least I will get to spend some time with Mina before she goes home to Iran with her sister for a visit. She will only be away for about three weeks, but spending this past summer without her has been difficult. I did steal away for a week to spend time with her when my supervisor was incommunicado during his move back to Texas, but it wasn't enough. In a few days I will get a chance to spend some more time with her, but it will only be four days. I don't like being apart for such long stretches, it conditions me to be content without her and I don't want to become like that. I have waited for such a long time to find someone like Mina, and I don't want to get used to the absence of her presence. Unfortunately there is no middle ground: either I live a lonely existence without Mina, or we constantly struggle to find ways to spend even a moment together. After spending so many years without someone, going back is not an option. So I continue as best I can, when an opportunity arises to see Mina I can't hesitate: losing Mina would be devastating for me and I don't even want to contemplate what my life would be like if that ever happened.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

manam asheghetam. mach.